Collection and Use of Information
We collect and use information differently depending on what parts of our Platform you use. We have described the purposes for collection and use of information according to the Platform generally, and more specifically for Benji Financial, Benji Tax, and the Website below.
When you use any of Benji Financial, Benji Tax, or the Website, we may collect and use information as follows:
- Social Media: We may offer you the opportunity to engage with Benji or its content on or through third-party social media websites, plug-ins and applications. When you engage with us on or through third-party social media websites, plug-ins and applications, you may allow us to have access to certain information associated with your social media account (e.g. name, username, email address, profile picture) to deliver content or as part of the operation of the website, plug-in or application.
- Marketing Communications: You may select if you wish to receive email marketing communications with updates and other information regarding Benji by providing us with your email. You can opt out of receiving marketing emails from us using the opt-out or “unsubscribe” instructions provided in the communication. Alternatively, you may contact our Privacy Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that you may continue to receive certain transactional or account-related communications from us.
- Surveys and Research: From time to time, we may offer you the opportunity to participate in one of our surveys or other research projects. The information obtained through our surveys and customer research is used in an aggregated, non-personally identifiable form to help us understand our customers and to enhance our product and service offerings.
- Contact Us: When you contact us with a comment or question, we collect the information you provide such as your email address, along with additional information that we may need to help us promptly respond to your inquiry. We retain this information to assist you in the future and to improve our customer service and service offerings. We also use personal information to establish and manage our relationship with you and provide quality service.
When you use Benji Financial, we may collect and use information as follows:
- Account Registration: When you register for an account, we collect information including your name, home address, birth date, telephone number, email address, business set up, business name, business address, business telephone number, occupation, industry of operations, source of funds, intended account use, tax disclaimers, and third-party declaration to open a business operating account, and to allow us to satisfy Know Your Client and anti-money laundering obligations under applicable laws. You also provide us with your name, email address, and a password that you select which we use to create and administer your account and use of Benji Financial.
- Using Benji: When you register for a business operating account using Benji Financial, you are registering for an account exclusively for use in connection with your self-employed work. We maintain information about your work business operating account including transactional history (merchant name, time of purchase, location of purchase) and account balances to enable the business operating account service of Benji Financial.
- Push Notifications: If you provide your consent to receive push notifications, we may display push notifications on your mobile device such as welcome messages, product features and promotional offers. If you wish to stop receiving push notifications from us, you can turn off push notifications for the App in the settings of your mobile device.
- App Usage Information & Analytics: As with many applications, certain limited data is required for Benji Financial to function on your device. This data includes the type of device hardware and operating system, unique device identiﬁer, IP address, language settings, and the date and time the Benji Financial accesses our servers. We use this information to help us understand the activity on Benji Financial, to monitor and improve Benji Financial, and to tailor your in-Benji-Financial-app experience. In addition, we may use third party service providers to collect analytical information about your use of Benji Financial, such as the Benji Financial features used and time spent on Benji Financial, to help us tailor your in-app experience, improve our products and the quality of Benji Financial, and to manage and analyze data in order to better understand our users.
- Additional Information: We will use commercially reasonable efforts, given the limitations imposed upon us by third party providers such as Apple Inc. and Google Inc., to clearly disclose what, if any information is collected by Benji Financial, how it is used, and with whom it is shared. Please note, certain practices are outside of our control, for example, tracking by Apple, Inc., Google, Inc., or your third-party telecommunications carrier. We are not responsible for the actions of such third parties. You should always read and understand the policies of any third-party provider, such as Apple with respect to iOS apps and Google with respect to Android apps, and your wireless carrier, before making any purchase or downloading any app.
When you use the Benji Tax, we may collect and use information as follows:
- Account Registration: When you register for an account, we collect information including your province of residence, a description of your self-employed work, whether that work is full time, how long you have been doing that work, the approximate amount of time you spend working on your phone, the approximate amount of your home that you use for that work, whether you discuss that work over meals, whether you travel for work, and how often you file your GST/HST return. We use this information to identify potential tax write-offs based on your responses. You also provide us with your name, email address, and a password that you select, which we use to administer access to your account.
- Connecting Bank Accounts: To enable Benji Tax to scan your bank accounts for potential tax write-offs, you have to connect your bank account to your Benji Tax account. We use Plaid to connect to your bank accounts securely. Read more about Plaid’s privacy practices for consumers here. When you connect your bank account through Plaid, Benji does not collect or store your banking credentials. Benji does receive through Plaid your bank account information, transactional history, and account balances for up to the last 2 years. We use this information to identify potential tax-write-offs in your transactional history based on your account registration responses.
- Using Benji Tax: When you use Benji Tax, you may categorize transactions in your imported transaction history as being either personal or related to your self-employed work. We use this information to classify your transactions for tax write-off purposes, and to help generate your tax report.
- Information We Collect Automatically: When you use Benji Tax, we use FullStory as a service provider to collect information about your use of Benji Tax, such as pages visited, links clicked, non-sensitive text entered, and mouse movements, as well as information more commonly collected such as the referring URL, browser, operating system, and IP address. FullStory stores some of this information to create user session replays to help us understand how you use Benji Tax. You can obtain additional information on FullStory’s processing of data, including how to learn more about opting out of FullStory’s data collection.
- Processing Payments: If you purchase an annual plan, your credit card information is provided to our payment processing provider, Stripe. Read more about Stripe’s privacy practices for consumers here. When you pay through Stripe, Benji does not collect or store your credit card credentials except for the last four digits of your credit card number, the credit card type, and the expiration date. We use this information to prevent fraud.
When you use the Benji Site, we may collect and use information as follows:
- Job Applications: To apply for work opportunities, you may choose to provide us with personal information by uploading or sending documents (such as résumés, cover letters and introductions). We use this information to assess your qualifications for current and future relevant work opportunities.
- Information We Collect Automatically: We and our third-party service providers, including Google Analytics, collect, process, store and analyze information obtained from your browser when you visit our website, including IP address, device identifiers, browser characteristics, operating system details, language preferences, referring URLs, length of visits, and pages viewed. We also use “cookies” or other tools that track, measure and analyze the behaviors and usage patterns of visitors to the website. We use this information to help us understand how visitors engage with the website and to improve our visitors’ experience.
You can obtain additional information on Google Analytics’ collection and processing of data and data privacy and security, including how to learn more about opting out of Google Analytics’ data collection.
Sharing of Personal Information
Your personal information may be transferred (or otherwise made available) to our affiliates and other third parties who provide services on our behalf. We use service providers to host our website, to process payments, and to connect your bank account to our Platform. We also use a banking-as-a-service provider and an underlying bank to offer our business operating account. Our service providers are given the information they need to perform their designated functions, and are not authorized to use or disclose personal information for their own marketing or other purposes.
Your personal information may be maintained and processed by us, our affiliates and other third party service providers in the US or other jurisdictions. In the event that personal information is transferred to the US or other foreign jurisdiction, it will be subject to the laws of that jurisdiction and may be disclosed to or accessed by the courts, law enforcement and governmental authorities in accordance with those laws.
Legal and Compliance
We and our service providers may provide your personal information in response to a search warrant or other legally valid inquiry or order, or to another organization for the purposes of investigating a breach of an agreement or contravention of law or detecting, suppressing or preventing fraud, or as otherwise required or permitted by applicable Canadian, US or other law or legal process. Your personal information may also be disclosed where necessary for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims and to investigate or prevent actual or suspected loss or harm to persons or property.
Sale of Business
Personal information may be provided to third parties in connection with a merger or sale (including transfers made as part of insolvency or bankruptcy proceedings) involving all or part of Benji or as part of a corporate reorganization or stock sale or other change in corporate control, including for the purpose of determining whether to proceed or continue with such transaction or business relationship.
Safeguarding and Retention of Personal Information
We have implemented reasonable administrative, technical and physical measures in an effort to safeguard the personal information in our custody and control against theft, loss and unauthorized access, use, modification and disclosure. We restrict access to your personal information on a need-to-know basis to employees and authorized service providers who require access to fulfill their job requirements.
We have personal information retention processes designed to retain personal information for no longer than necessary for the purposes stated above or to otherwise meet legal requirements.
Access to Personal Information
You have the right to access, update and correct inaccuracies in your personal information in our custody and control, subject to certain exceptions prescribed by law. You may request access, updating and corrections of inaccuracies in other personal information we have in our custody or control by emailing or writing to us at the contact information set out below. We may request certain personal information for the purposes of verifying the identity of the individual seeking access to their personal information records.
Third Party Websites
The site may contain links to other websites that are not owned or controlled by us. We have no control over, do not review and are not responsible for the privacy policies of or content displayed on such other websites. When you click on such a link, you will leave our service and go to another site. During this process, another entity may collect personal information from you.
Benji Technologies Inc.
1 York Street, Suite 1501
Toronto, ON M5J 0B6